Friday, May 9, 2008

Waga-My-Heart-Out

I realize I'm a little late in the game here, but understand that my diet consists of whatever isn't moldy, bruised, smelly or sticking in my fridge. I always have a Power Bar and a banana near my desk at work or in my bag on-the-go. So when my co-workers shout out, "I'm ordering lunch from _____" I usually perk up (if I haven't just stuffed a Power Bar in my mouth).

Today, the _____ was "Wagamama" -- a noodle bar in Faneuil Hall. Originally a UK company, Wagamama hit the Boston scene last year and like most restaurants in Faneuil Hall, I dismissed it as another tourist trap. In most cases I am spot on. Today, I admit I was wrong. Wagamama is my new favorite place.

I was skeptical at first. The section of the menu called "Ramen" brought me back to freshman year of college. The boxes of Ramen noodles were piled up along the wall -- three a day, one and a half minutes in the microwave. When you bought in bulk, the little noodle soups came to about 15 cents each. Not bad for a broke college kid. But after a year of Ramen noodles, you swear you'll never eat them again. Ever.



Today, I ordered the Vegetarian Ramen Noodle bowl. It arrived on my desk approximately one hour ago, and I'm still trying to get through the endless bowl of whole wheat noodles, vegetable broth and fresh vegetables. It's 32 ounces of pure veggie delight on a cold rainy day. It's healthy, and it has more taste than my Power Bar.

No comments: