Thursday, May 1, 2008

Flight Cancelled. Martini's Found.

It's the end of the day. 5 p.m. We're winding down (because that's what time they wind down in the UK) and we're looking forward to spending our last night snuggled up with a dry martini at Duke's. That's when it hits. The email. It's from American Airlines. This can't be good.

The email says, "There has been a cancellation on your forthcoming reservation with American Airlines." Unbelievable. It's been a long week of work in London and while I do love London, I was looking forward to getting home tomorrow. I need my bed, my shower, my candles, my pillows, my stuff. I also learned today that the neighborhood I live in suffered a massive power outage so I hope my apartment is in one piece, but fingers crossed...

I call the number American Airlines provides in the email and I wait patiently for 25 minutes. My patience level was reaching its max (I am now 25 minutes late for martinis) when finally, a representative gets on the line. Apparently, the plane is having "mechanical problems" and they've reschedule us for a later flight. Question: it's only noon in America... how do you know the plane is having mechanical problems for a flight that doesn't leave for another 24 hours, and wouldn't that give the airlines enough time to find another flight? Whatever.
News get worse: the flight is full and we're in the middle row. I tried to persuade the voice on the other line for an upgrade, but he wasn't budging. Wait, let me clarify that... he would gladly budge if I gave him $3,000 for an upgrade fee. I stopped short of begging for a business class seat -- there were still people in the office. Currently scheduled to leave London Friday night at 6 p.m. Stay tuned for more.

Later that night... about two hours later... we found ourselves at the Dukes Hotel ordering martinis and sucking on olives. If you ever find yourself in London for one night, head to Dukes Hotel and order a house martini. It's the best you've ever had, and the olives are to die for. The bill was 35 pounds (approximately $70) but don't think about that... ever.

No comments: