Thursday, May 15, 2008

Virgin Thanks, Thoughts, and Prayers

Pope Benedict thanked consecrated women virgins who gathered today at the Vatican for their "total gift" to Christ. These virgins, said the pope, are going straight to heaven where they are "betrothed mystically" to Christ.

I am going straight to hell.

By the time hell is ready for me I'll have accrued enough points for a first class ticket, baby. In the meantime, I'm going to Rome. Home of the Pope. Who doesn't much care for "sinners" or have much faith in non-Catholics. He noted, as he thanked the virgins, that their "gift" was difficult for some non-Catholics to understand.

Let me step back from one moment and say that, as an adult, I firmly believe in preaching abstinence and/or chastity to young children. Anyone with young nieces or nephews, or those who have kids of their own, will agree with me. As kids get older and can comprehend emotions, I don't see anything wrong with explaining the realities of sex and the importance of protection - but physically and emotionally. But let's be real... the only reason we as adults can preach that lifestyle now is because we've already indulged in the dark side.

Like everything in life this is all very ironic, of course, because this morning I booked a 5 1/2-hour of the Vatican for Monday, June 9. The pope is going to be so excited to see me.

1 comment:

Dan said...

I think you should wear a black skirt while drinking a dirty martini when you meet the pope.