Monday, May 12, 2008

Boycotting Gym Inflation

Everything is more expensive these days. Gas, homes, airline tickets, dairy - name it, and you're probably paying more for it. So it stands to reason that everyday amenities are going to rise, as well. It's simple economics. And while it's unfortunate that it costs more to live these days, that's just the fundamentals of living.

I must take a few moments today and veer from the fundamental of this blog so that I can vent one very valid frustration: The rising (and often ridiculous) costs associated with fitness centers and gyms. Only in America do you have to pay more to maintain your self-esteem via a healthy weight.

One of the side effects of traveling is weight gain. Sad to say, but over the years I've embraced good food and I often find it when I travel. To offset the carbs and calories, I do try and workout when I'm on the road. When I come home, most evenings are spent at the gym. After all, I am paying a monthly membership - I might as well make use of it. I've written columns about proper workout clothes, meeting singles at the gym, and even doing business at the gym. I am a fan of the gym.

But when the gym deliberately price gouges, I have to take a stand.

Case in point: Boston Sports Clubs

Case Study: The hidden fees of gyms.

Background: Boston Sports Club offers various memberships. We'll use mine as an example for this story. I pay $74 a month to belong to Boston Sports Clubs. My membership is considered the "Gold Membership" which means I choose a "home gym" that I can attend any day or time. I can only access other gyms during off-peak hours. I can see BSC's rational behind the varying degrees of memberships. You do have to limit the amount of people in order to avoid over-crowding.

My membership started at $70 a month and I was forced to sign a two-year contract and pay an initiation fee. Caveat: I could have signed a one-year contract, but the monthly membership dues were higher and I didn't get two free personal training sessions. So I signed on for two years. The price has risen $4 in two years. I can live with that, although I'll be honest, it's a little ridiculous. The price increase is due to "necessary gym maintenance". So why is there always a broken machine, not enough towels, and mold in the showers? Sadly, this isn't even the basis of my argument...

Situation: I think my Boston Sports Club "home gym" is a bit of a wreck. Some friends of mine, who are also Boston Sports Club members, belong to another BSC location near my neighborhood and suggested I switch my "home gym". I call to find out the procedure for making the switch.

The Boston Sports Club membership person (whose identity I'll protect) tells me that we can easily do the switch. It's a one-time processing fee of $39.99 and my monthly dues will go from $74 to $69.

"Oh," I say. "What's the $39 for, again?"

A processing fee, she tells me.

"If I want to come in after work and make the switch, is that possible?"

Oh yes, she says. "It will only take a second to switch you over."

Ok... STOP. Let's break that down:

It's a $39.99 "processing fee" for making a switch that will "only take a second."

Problem: I've always hated the idea of "initiation fees." It's a quick way to make money and it's completely useless, but all gyms do it and the most I can do is threaten not to sign up. In the end, we all pay. But when hidden fees are added to the process for the sake of simply screwing your customers, there is a problem.

As far as I can tell, there is no reason for a $39.99 processing fee for a process that takes "a second." You're asking me to pay you $39.99 for one second of your time. Some perspective:

A working member of society who makes $40/hour brings home approximately $83,200/year.
Boston Sports Club wants me to pay them $39.99/second. How many customers need to pay this fee for Boston Sports Club to be rich? This isn't hard math, folks.

Solution: A boycott. Why do gyms get away with these fees? Show me the poor sap who is slaving behind a machine that takes hours out of his day to click a drop-down menu from one person's profile in a computer and switch their "home gym", and I will pay you $39.99. Until then, no way.

I signed a two-year contract and the only way I can get out of my contract is to pay Boston Sports Club more money, which at this point I refuse to do. So I will honor my contract. It expires at the end of the August and you can be sure I won't renew. Gym inflation won't get the best of me. If you want me to pay extra fees, show me a clean gym with properly functioning machines and I will show you my credit card.

From now until August, I will make the most of my $74 a month. Maybe I'll actually lose the 10 lbs. I've been fighting off...

4 comments:

Legally Brunette said...

Frogger, I absolutely encourage you to cut and paste your post into a letter to your BSC's general manager. Fitness clubs like these count on members to passively accept the nickel and diming, but I've had luck here and there getting fees like these waived with a letter to the higher-ups. Never hurts to ask...

Frogger said...

Thanks, Legally Brunette. I'll consider it. Good to know you've had luck waiving fees. Thanks for the tip!

Dan said...

That processing fee is criminal. BSC should be concerned with protecting its brand.

Anonymous said...

The reason they have a processing fee is to stop people from abusing the option of switching "home gyms".