Monday, May 19, 2008

The Art of Driving - St. Louis Style

Remember the scene in "My Best Friend's Wedding," when Cameron Diaz is driving her convertible through the Chicago freeway and convincing Julia Roberts to be her maid-of-honor? She realizes she's about to miss her exit and swerves across three lanes of traffic to exit without breaking or missing a beat? Remember the look on Julia Roberts' face? That was me at 7:50 a.m. this morning driving through rush-hour morning traffic with my sister.

As I've said before, no one in St. Louis knows how to drive. My sister is pretty good, but I realized this weekend that she's good because she has speed. Which doesn't make her good, necessarily, but certainly prompt. I clutched the side of the car during our ride this morning and as she rolled her eyes at me she screamed at the car to the right who wouldn't move over so she could merge in. Now I realize I'm not a fast driver, or a good driver for that matter, but I know a few things:
  • You don't accelerate when the rest of traffic is breaking.
  • You don't flip off the marine in the pick-up truck who won't slow down so you can move in.
  • You don't text message and drive at the same time.
Now, I love my sister. Everyone knows that. But I fear we might die together in her car. However, she did get us to the best ice cream treat in St. Louis...

To end our day of shopping and finish off our meal, we jumped in the Suzuki and drove to Ted Drewes Frozen Custard, home of the St. Louis concrete.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Careful now. No road carelessless and definitely no road rage.

Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel.

Frogger said...

I don't drive - I sit quietly in the passenger seat. And I hold my breath until we arrive at our desired location