Sunday, May 11, 2008

Starting Over: The Right Size

This weekend was my "Spring Cleaning" weekend. A little late, I know, but it's the first weekend I haven't been travelling so I embraced the idea of a good cleaning. After reading MFTM's blog about her new summer clothes, I was inspired to take the Spring Cleaning to my closet.

It's a somewhat bittersweet task.

Over the past year, I've gained some unfortunate pounds around places I didn't know pounds could exist. Part of this has to with getting older, part of it is due to laziness, and part of it is due to the cardiologist. Last March, I was banned from the gym while the doctors figured out what was wrong with my heart, and how to fix it. After about 4 months, and various pill cocktails, things got under control. One pill a day to settle the arrhythmia -- back to the gym. But after 4 months out, it's not so easy to get back in. Obviously, I gained weight and sadly I haven't taken it all off. Enter today: the opening of the closet.

Everything from a size 4 to a size 10 lives in closet, smooshed together as if by osmosis they might become one size that fits me. Alas, the fabrics have not meshed to create the perfect wardrobe and so it's time to start cleaning.

After my recent Europe travels, I've adopted a European way of the wardrobe -- staples. Just a few pieces here and there that go with everything. A few tops, a few pants, a few skirts, a few casual pieces and mix-and-match. More importantly, I've opened my eyes to my size. As one friend put it,

"Why keep clothes in the closet that don't fit? Get rid of them all, that way when you open your closet in the morning to get dressed you know everything in there fits. It's a much better way to start the day."

So true. Knowing your clothes fit -- no matter what your size -- does wonders for the mind. So does a new hair color... the red streaks are back and brighter than ever.

No comments: