Saturday, June 28, 2008

Bye, Bye, Boston Sports Club

The evil gym monkey is off my back. My contract expired (a month earlier than I originally thought) and I promptly called membership services at Boston Sports Club and asked them to kindly cancel my membership PRONTO. I'm pleased to say I didn't get a sales pitch and the membership services person didn't try to guilt me into staying at the wrecked gym. However, I did get suckered into a "processing fee". Because it wouldn't be Boston Sports Club if they didn't try to suck one more penny out of you before you leave. So I caved.

"Fine," I said. "Charge me a processing fee and please do not ever contact me again. I do not want to see so much as a flyer in my mailbox."

The sales associate agreed to my terms (or she lied to me to get me off the phone), took my credit card number and said goodbye. I am free from Boston Sports Club!

And on to another gym...

I will post more on my new gym later but I need to come clean about one thing: it is more expensive than the evil gym (by $20). But on the flip side:
  1. It is two blocks from my office and in the direction of my apartment.
  2. It is a private gym (which means they cap memberships so that the gym isn't too crowded during peak times).
  3. It has a spa. And yes, there are discounts associated with my membership.
  4. It is small by gym standards, but again, it's private so you're never waiting for a machine.
  5. The clientele is "professional" (i.e. no college kids parading around in boy shorts that barely cover their yahoos).

More on the new gym later...

No comments: