Monday, June 23, 2008

Travel Don'ts: The Fung Wah Bus Line

Why do people still take this bus line as a mode of transportation? After the previous accidents, chicken rides (and I do mean live chickens) and near fatal disasters, people still take the Fung Wah from Boston to New York and back again. And today, an innocent woman waiting to board the Fung Wah was struck and killed while boarding the bus. I honesty believe that this bus line breeds bad karma.

Yes, I understand that it's cheap. But lucky you -- I make a living off writing about cheap finds in travel and so I've come up with some alternative options!

Lucky Star bus: Prices range from $5 to $25 one-way, depending on the time you travel.

GotoBus.com: $30 round-trip (that's two martinis - you can spare 'em.)

Amtrak: Really, it's not that expensive if you think about it. For $160 round-trip, you sit in comfortable seats like the civilized person you are and read a book for 4 hours. Livestock isn't stored in the bathroom, it doesn't smell like feet and the worst-case scenario is that you get a drunk Ivy League kid next to you. Easy fix: get up and move -it's a big train with lots of seats.

Ok, so no more Fung Wah, right? You are a smart, successful, civilized human being -- treat yourself like one and take a safe mode of transportation to NYC.

1 comment:

aruck said...

You should also check out megabus.com, fares from about 6-15 dollars, and boltbus.com, with similar fares. They are clean, on time, and have free wi-fi. Also, funny story, I texted my friends about this accident this morning, saying, "death on the fung wah," and immediately got frantic phone calls asking if I was ok- I should have phrased it as a news story-how tragic.