Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A George-less Dollar

Today I exchanged more money. The US Dollar to the Euro isn't as bad as the dollar to the pound, but it still plays a good game on your bank account.

Today's exchange rate: 1.58. That means that my $700 quickly dwindled down to 440 Euros. In essence, I just lost $260. Now before you get all "then don't travel" on me, I realize I am the one who chooses to travel and spend this money. I'm not complaining about spending the money, I'm complaining about the diminishing value of my money. I will still earn, I will still spend, but I have to admit, it's the saving that is hard. Yes, of course, if I didn't travel I could save that money. There are both sides to the story, but at the end of the day I blame George.

For years I worked multiple jobs while I put myself through grad school, and subsequently paid back the grad school loans. That meant for years there was no travel. Up until a few years ago, my passport was pretty bare. Then I started coming into my own and my career took a turn. I took my cash and traded it in for plane tickets around the world. So it's ironic as soon as I had the means and ways to do this, the economy started tanking. I could get all political on you (and I covered politics in Washington DC so yes, I can debate this argument) but instead I'll just voice my opinion. It's my blog, after all.

I blame the president. Thank you, George Bush, for completely crushing my hard-earned money. I blame you, but I will not let you stop me. As far as I'm concerned, you're one George whose face will never end up on a dollar.

And that said, I'm taking my Euros and I'm going to Italy, baby!

No comments: