Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Excavations in the City of the Dead

Anyone been inside this one before?

Apparently, there is an entire city underneath Saint Peter's Basilica. It's lovingly referred to as the Necropolis -- the City of the Dead. It's where Saint Peter was buried after his crucifixion at what is now known as the Vatican Gardens. It's a 60-minute tour that winds only 250 lucky visitors through the underground streets of the Necropolis and to the grave of Saint Peter.



I will admit I had to look up some info on Saint Peter. What I did know is that he was one of the apostles. But aside from that, I wasn't entirely sure who Saint Peter was to the people. (Sunday's were spent at temple -- you want to know about Moses, I'm you're girl.) Here's what I've learned:
  • He was the founder of the first Roman Church
  • Allegedly, Peter also walked on water after hearing that Jesus performed this miracle
  • Saint Peter offered up a prayer for Yom Kippur, which (as Jewish folklore tells it) is how Jesus forgave Peter before he died.
The tour takes viewers through several excavated streets of the Necropolis and ends at the grave of Saint Peter. But it's only for the privileged few. You have to send a request to visit the Necropolis and the Excavation Center will let you know if your request has been approved. I hope we are approved --we would be the "chosen ones" to enter the tombs on that day. This is heavy stuff.

Now, I will warn you that I'm slightly claustrophobic. Apparently, inside the Necropolis is slightly claustrophobic, too. This could go very well, or very bad. But if we're chosen, I will take my chances.

No comments: