Friday, June 13, 2008

Goodbye to a Legend: Tim Russert

Today was a sad day for journalists and readers. The tragic loss of Tim Russert pounded the hearts of many who have followed his career and those of us who viewed him as a mentor and pioneer in the journalism industry.

During my days as a Washington correspondent I envied the work of Russert and aimed to achieve the integrity and professionalism that Russert demanded from the job. While he had his opinions on politics and of those he interviewed, he gained the right to share those thoughts and gain the truth from his guests on the Sunday morning show, "Meet the Press."

I could go on for a while about how he inspired me as a reporter, but for now I'll retreat to my thoughts and prayers for his friends and family around the world. For young journalists just beginning their career I offer only this: learn from this man, for he was legendary in his craft, and strive to be the journalist that Tim Russert was.

No comments: