Friday, June 6, 2008

Maybe I'll Sleep...

I slept horribly last night. I've slept horribly for weeks. Maybe it's the job, or maybe just general stress of life. It's raining this morning, which usually doesn't help with the natural adrenaline rush one's body often experiences during days of bright sunshine and beautiful weather. It's gray, rainy and dismal - the perfect excuse to stay in bed. Just a few more hours... but my mind was already ahead of me.

The alarm went off at 6 a.m. this morning. Since I was already awake and watching the news, the high-pitched ringing of the alarm clock I bought back in 1997 didn't startle me too much. I'm either used to the sound or completely immune to it. I casually made my way out of bed, hopped in the shower and debated what to wear today. After a few outfit changes, I went with black travel pants (the flowy kind that feel like pajamas but look like silk), a green tank top and a black sweater (jean jacket in my carry-on bag in case it gets cold). I'll probably change again. After a quick check of all things inside the apartment, I made two trips down the four flights of stairs -- one to bring down the over-packed luggage, one to bring down the carry-on bags. My brain was already ahead of me -- it had coffee brewing on the mind. I put the bags in the foyer and walked around the corner to the coffee shop. One medium Guatemalan blend, one sesame bagel. I called for a cab and perched on my front stoop until it arrived. Ten dollars later I'm at work, and tired again.

I find it hard to sleep on planes. Maybe it's because I'm older and more alert to all the sounds, kinks and what can possibly go wrong. I'm not a bad flyer - I actually like to fly. There's something soothing about being so far up in the sky you can touch the clouds. But tonight, there's a possibility I may sleep. For one thing, it's 8:15 a.m. and I'm already exhausted. Second, I have so much reading to do I'll likely fall asleep and miss the opportunity to read up on Rome before I get there.

I'm quite sure, however, then when I arrive in Rome I'll have no problem finding a cappuccino to keep me awake. I did read that cappuccinos are really after-dinner drinks in Rome - during the day signifies true tourist traits. Maybe I'll opt for an espresso. Or, I'll simply go to the hotel and nap for a few hours. At any rate, I'll be in Rome and while I may be exhausted, maybe I'll finally get some sleep.

No comments: