Sunday, June 22, 2008

Embracing a Little Europe in the U.S.

Still not quite ready to admit I'm back in the states, I opted for a Saturday night out with friends that started just a little later than usual: Cocktails followed by a late-night dinner - dining, ala Europe-style.
We choose one of the city's more eclectic restaurants, Eastern Standard. This French-fusion restaurant features some of the best delicacies in European culture, including foie gras, frog legs, ceviche, and escargot. I ordered a glass of red wine, which was generously poured into a long-stemmed glass, and a large plate of mussels cooked with fennel and tomato.

Before we knew it, 11:30 p.m. rolled around. I stayed for one last bite of my strawberry shortcake dessert before pouring myself into a cab for the ride home.
One thing I'm noticing about American restaurants: most of the food is pre-made and frozen until ordered. Maybe it's that way in Europe, too, but every dish I enjoyed in Italy tasted fresh, new and never frozen.

No comments: