Saturday, April 26, 2008

Things to Remember in London

It's been a few years since I've been back in London and I'll admit, I was a little rusty on the lingo. I blame part of this on the fact that I hit the streets completely un-caffeinated. There weren't enough Starbucks coffee molecules in my brain before I hit Marylebone High Street and I forgot some of the basic London lingo. Remember the following next time you head across the pond:
  • When ordering a coffee at a cafe, "regular" means cream and sugar (not milk and sugar and not black, which is how I require it).
  • You don't need to dial the country code when you're actually calling from the country. I spent approximately $20 in cell phone fees this afternoon trying to make a call to a friend in London.
  • They drive on the opposite side of the road in London, so make sure you look both ways before crossing the street or you're sure to get your butt creamed by an oncoming car because you weren't looking the right way.
  • Coins are also dollars in London. A pound can be paper money or coins so don't dismiss your currency.
  • Do not walk through the Changing of the Guard. That is bad form. And the Beefeaters don't give a damn if you're un-caffeinated.

No comments: