Monday, April 21, 2008

Boston Marathon 2008: Winner's Circle

This particular Monday couldn't be nicer. It's sunny, 50 degrees, and a slight breeze floats through the air. Spring is in season and the pitter patter of thousands of feet are running their way through the city. Today is the 112th Boston Marathon.

In Boston, the marathon is an official holiday (otherwise disguised as "Patriot's Day"). Granted, not all companies get the day off, but those who don't count it as a holiday often take it as a vacation day. It's a high to cheer on the 25,000 people who sweat their way through 26 agonizing miles starting from Hopkinton, up Heartbreak Hill and through the Back Bay to the finish line in Boston. In a weird way, spectators feel the same sense of pride watching the runners cross the line -- except it's unlikely the spectator falls flat on their face post-run. I would collapse, too, after running 26 miles, but I feel that's a dignified ending to a marathon.

This Boston Marathon was, admittedly, a little bittersweet for me. It's been one year since my heart valve arrhythmia diagnosis and my goals of running a marathon were put on hold. Upside: cardiologist said things are looking awesome so maybe next year I will cross the finish line of the Boston Marathon and join my fellow runners in the Winner's Circle.

No comments: