Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Paradise at Pike Place

Another simple pleasure -- coffee. Some of my friends might say coffee is also a necessity for me. They would be right. My day starts with a cup (err, grande cup) of coffee. Usually brewed at home, sometimes brewed by Starbucks.

There are various classes of Starbucks so it's essential to find the Starbucks location that works for you. Ex: there is a Starbucks within 15 steps from my office door. But only in dire must-have-coffee-or-will-die-or-kill-someone situations will I go to that location because the staff is simply not on their A-game. When I ask for a grande soy latte extra shot no foam and I'm met with a blank stare, it's slightly irritating. Starbucks is famous for inventing the coffee language. It took me long enough to learn it, I would expect the employees at Starbucks to be able to speak it. So instead I go to the Starbucks about 50 steps from my office door where the friendly barrister greets me with a "What can I get for you today, m'Lady?" and I know I'm in safe hands.

This morning, my friend behind the counter suggested I try the new "Pike Place Roast" -Starbucks' new blend that they claim is "an all around great cup of coffee." And let me tell you something, coffee-lovers, Starbucks wasn't lying. The Pike Place Roast is indeed a great cup of coffee. It doesn't taste burnt or have an acidic aftertaste. It's smooth, dark and rich. Good qualities for a man and a coffee, but if you don't have a guy to get you going in the morning this cup of Joe will serve as an awesome substitute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

agreed...just actually tried the pike place today -- i got a venti misto instead of my usual grande latte (less money AND less calories!) and it was a MIGHTY fine (venti) cup of coffee!