Saturday, April 12, 2008

Numerology: The Year of 1

While celebrating The Missus' birthday dinner on Friday night, our table of four got to talking about our years.
"25 was my worst," I said. "I'm working on my 30s."
"She's a sophisticated 25-year-old," we said about our youngest companion.
"I'm officially 'in' my 30s," announced The Missus, having turned 31 today.
"I embrace this decade," said Bail, who outranks me by two years.

We spoke about the psycho-boyfriends of past lives, current mistakes of boyfriends/husbands present, and what may be of our careers and our year ahead. Then the Missus said to me, "This is a great year for you - you're in the year of one."

Great. Another year of just me. Awesome. Thanks. Looking forward to that. My mother will be thrilled to hear this. But then she explained...

"The year of one is about new beginnings and new adventures, and it's also about prosperity." So I thought about that, and she's right. Here's what "firsts" I've experienced during my year of 1:
  • A new job - the first I've loved in many years
  • The first of many new friends
  • My first blog
  • The first time there's been cash in my 401k
  • The first year I can travel with ease (and not have to take out a loan)
  • The first year caring for a newly diagnosed heart condition
  • The first year I got a tax refund
  • The first chapter of my book complete
There are many more firsts in my year of one to come...

3 comments:

Me said...

I'm jealous! You have a chapter done? I don't even have an idea yet!

Jane said...

maybe it'll even be the year of "the one"?

Anonymous said...

i am in year one too!

so far:
-started new position at work
-became an aunt for the first time
-was accepted to law school

yay year of the ones!