Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Fashion Focus: Carry-On Luggage

Traveler tip: Everything is always for sale.

Take for example the Tommy Hilfiger Latitude Luggage Collection. With all the upcoming travel I have in the next two months (and because I'm not quite confident in any particular airline's skills to get my luggage to my destination safely) I opted for a new carry-on bag. This is a very difficult purchase. A carry-on bag must meet certain qualities including:
  • Multiple outside and inside pockets
  • Inside pouches for toiletries (those not part of the FAA 3-1-1 rule)
  • Additional pockets for electronics, converters and adapters
  • Expandable width for last-minute additions before you fly, or last-minute purchases from your destination
I went to Macy's in search of a new carry-on bag and found a few to my liking, but most were too small or didn't have enough pockets. Then the nice Macy's employee brought me the $300 Tommy Hilfiger luggage. It was the perfect size, had the perfect amount of pockets and was even the perfect color. But $300?! Then I found out that Macy's is having a one-day sale this Friday and this particular bag would be 50% off... alas, I leave for New York tomorrow...

Without much begging, the Macy's employee placed a quick call to his manager to get approval to give me the bag at the 50% discount. I had an additional 20% off coupon and ended up with a slate blue, perfectly pocketed Tommy Hilfiger carry-on bag for my upcoming journeys.

Moral of the story: Just because there isn't a sale sign on it doesn't mean you can't get a bargain!

No comments: