Friday, December 26, 2008

And Then There Was Burberry

I woke today determined to get mine... whatever that may be. Following the rose-throwing attacks of yesterday, I was set to make things even today - I needed to feel better and beautiful, and save a couple dollars doing so. First stop: Banana Republic.

I had recently purchased myself a couple pairs of my favorite Banana Republic pants and a cape/sweater/shawl, only to learn this morning that all three items were now an additional 30% off the sale price. I waited patiently outside the front doors of Banana Republic and was greeted immediately at 10 a.m. by the store manager, who graciously helped me. We returned all the items and re-purchased them at the discounted price. Total amount of money saved: $150.

Next stop: Saks Fifth Avenue. Normally, I don't find anything I need at Saks, but I was in the mood to just browse. When I don't feel like buying, I go to Saks and trade buying for trying. I usually model something in the form of a Valentino handbag, but as I entered the department store all bets were off, for Saks was having a ridiculous sale. I opted for the gloves, handbag and accessories department. I need new gloves, so I figured what the hell...

I walked the isles feeling the cashmere and wool blends, trying on gloves and hats and debating the colors that would go best with the items in my closet. Black is obvious. I hate pink. Purple would be great, but the only purple gloves they had weren't to my liking. Maybe if I get a purple scarf the purple gloves won't look so bad. New approach: Find purple scarf.

Scarf FOUND! Scarf snatched by faster shopper. Dammit. It's a sign, I thought, and started toward the sunglasses case. I shouldn't spend any money on sunglasses - I break them or lose them. Always. But laying there on top of the sunglasses case was a rich purple cable-knit scarf. Hm. I picked it up and quickly realized it wasn't just any lush purple cable-knit scarf, but it was the Burberry cable-knit cashmere/wool purple scarf that I had adored.

It was just lying there, untouched and unharmed. No kinks in the yarn or pulls in the knit. Just the perfect extra-long scarf. And it was on sale.

Original price: $595
Sale price on tag: $359
Price with discounts: $108
Total savings: $487



I was on a high, so I held the scarf close and moved along to make sure I didn't miss anything else this spectacular. I grabbed one last item, which remains in the box. It's a gift for a friend who reads this blog often. One of her favorite designers was on sale today so I bought an early-birthday present (with returnable gift card) - I couldn't pass up the price, and this friend would appreciate a good sale.

No comments: