Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Starbucks Effect

I'm working on a report due the moment I walk in the office Monday morning. I've spent the past few months working on this in hopes it delivers exactly what we need: notoriety. In working on this report, I've spent countless hours on phone interviews, email chats with analysts overseas and online researching stats and forecasts. Today I devoted all day to completing this report. My reward: window shopping at the Natick Collection tomorrow. I'm a firm believer in window shopping - no need to purchase; a little imagination goes a long way.

In order to stay true to my deadline, I needed a change of scenery. I've worked on this report in the office and in the apartment and everything is just stale. This morning, I bundled up, grabbed my laptop and walked to Starbucks. I grabbed the first table near an outlet, spread out my paper work and powered up the HP. I ordered my grande Pike Place, got my 10 percent off thanks to my Starbucks Gold Card, and started writing.

Louie Armstrong is blowing his horn over the sound system. It's the holidays, and everything from the paper cups to the tracks spinning on the Starbucks stereo system says so.

The lines come and go, and Jenna behind the counter comes out to check on me every so often.

"You doing OK? Can I get you anything?"

"Nah, I'm OK... just plugging away."

"That man would like to buy you a coffee," she says, and points to a white-haired and wrinkled older gentleman who I've seen around the neighborhood. He's a friend of my landlord's; I believe his name is Gus.

"Thanks," I say, and wink in Gus' direction.

The place is filling up again. Starbucks seems like everyone's retreat. Here, there doesn't seem to be a recession - at least not one that a good cappuccino or a salted hot chocolate can't fix.

4 comments:

Stacia said...

Thank you for putting the good behind Starbucks. When I mention that I miss 'Red Cup Season' people normally blast me with all the negative.

It's good memories like these that I like...

Me said...

Awww!!!! That was so sweet of Gus!!!

Yes, I love writing and typing away at Starbucks.

Dan said...

I feel like I just read a little piece of Hemingway.

Frogger said...

Stacey - As far as I'm concerned, the holiday season begins with the rollout of the red paper cups..

Missus - This Starbucks in my neighborhood it truly an A+ team.

Dan - I don't know if you're complimenting me or screwing with me, but either way thank you.