Monday, November 3, 2008

Inside the Voting Booth - Behind the Steel Curtains of America

One day until the most influential election of my generation. Yes, there were influential presidents before tomorrow, but none that I was able to vote for. Tomorrow marks my most powerful vote, and I'm scared as hell.

I've always been an idealist; maybe to a fault or maybe it's what keeps me going. I held on to my idealism when I visited the jail every weekend for three months to interview inmates who claim to be wrongly accused for committing grotesque crimes. I watched in wonderment from the House floor as the President of the United States gave a State of the Union address immediately following the worst attack on U.S. soil, which ignited Americans to unify and fight for their freedom and I wondered, "how can he be so sure we're safe?" I witnessed the American flag rise every morning from the five-starred Pentagon building only to reveal a blown-out section of the very building that defends my freedom, and I still believe. I believe that America is the greatest country in the world - not without its faults, but sacred with strength.

Earlier in the year, I became part of history when I cast a vote for a woman president of the United States. While my vote wasn't able to carry Hilary Clinton into the delegation, I am equally in awe at the option of voting for the first black man as president. This election is a sign of progression, but I shudder to wonder how many Americans are afraid to move ahead.

Can America vote a black man into the highest office, or will the segregated America of years past rear its ugly head behind the steel curtains of the voting booth?

I'm nervous at the news headlines that flood my inbox today:

Obama leading in key voting sectors
One day, eight points
Hope, fears as Harlem gets election fever

Nervous not because of the predictions, but because the predictions might be wrong. Is America voting with heart and soul, or with mixed emotions? Is the Bradley Effect nearing the corner? Will voters say one thing to the pollsters, only to vote the opposite inside the poll booth?

Maybe we're not as evolved as we claim to be. Maybe we need the Maverick mentality to lead us to salvation from the war we didn't want and the economy we lost. Maybe a moose-hunting woman is more influential than a small town senator. Maybe an ex-POW is needed more than an optimistic evolutionary. Or maybe not.

I think of what America would be without Roe vs. Wade, healthcare coverage or an ally in Israel and I am frightened. But I'm comforted by the thought that for one brief moment tomorrow, behind the steel curtains of the polling booth, I'll be at peace with my vote.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes we can.

(can't believe I just wrote that)

Legally Brunette said...

Emily beat me to it =)

Well said, Frogger.