Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Living La Vida Oscar on Election Night

This is a historic election year and as such, I'm treating November 4 as my own personal Oscar night. A little history:

A a past political reporter, you can say I'm "addicted" to this time of year. It only happens every four years so I allow myself the freedom to act like a complete asshole. I pace, I drink, I yell at the TV, I scream at the states that aren't "called" yet -- it's my own personal Superbowl. My friends Bail and the Missus wanted to have a nice dinner on election night and ease into the results. Unfortunately, that simply doesn't work for me. I need room to move... I need space to breathe. I cannot be tied down to one area. So MFTM threw out a suggestion last Friday night while we consumed after-work cocktails, "Let's rent out a suite, order a ton of room service and get drunk while Frogger paces the room."  

Actually, it's not a bad idea. I found a hotel in the city that has a concierge level, and a 24-hour lounge complete with a bar and late-night snacks. I called the concierge at the hotel today to make sure the rate I found was legit (because the hotel is one of the swankier ones in the city) and Isaac, the "Tower Manager", assured me he would take great care of my needs on Nov. 4. Oh, Isaac... you poor fool.

So I booked, and here is my plan:
  • Leave the office at 3 p.m. and go for a workout. I've already alerted my coworkers and managers that I'll need space during the hours of noon on Nov. 4 through Nov. 5. 
  • Check-in to hotel and depending on where the results are for the day, take a nap.
  • Wake in time for appetizers on the 15th floor lounge and a pre-election drink with friends.
  • Give room service menu to MFTM and Bail and tell them to just "keep it coming" while I find a comfortable spot in the lounge to stake out of the night.
  • Possibly order an in-lounge pedicure from the hotel spa.
  • Let the night move on with my personal bartender, personal concierge and close friends who are brave enough to stick out this night with me.

There will be tears, laughter, and a lot of nervous energy. And that's just on my part. But I'm feeling good about not being alone on election night, because if things go terribly wrong, I'll need a shoulder to cry on (and friends who will keep me from fleeing to the airport and escaping to another country).

No comments: