Monday, September 15, 2008

Bedroom Secrets: New Bedding Makes for Better Sleep

Those who know me best know of my random insomnia - it comes, it goes, it sucks. I've had this problem since college - back then, the solution was weed; today it's Nick-at-Night. Regardless, it's an unfortunate effect on my mid-afternoons. The focus drains from my brain and I find myself reading a sentence two to three times to understand its meaning. This isn't every night, mind you, but once in a great while the nights go on forever.

This was my past few weeks, until last night...

My friend The Missus and I took to a day of shopping in Kittery, Maine. I had high hopes for fall fashion, but instead left the clothing stores with two silk shirts and one fall jacket. As we worked our way around the Premium Outlets, we stumbled upon Linens & Things. I walked in, went to a bedding and immediately felt the urge to sleep. Maybe it's because it was a bed, or maybe it was the soothing patterns of brown sea flowers on a crisp white background. Of course, it was one of the more expensive items in the store. I debated it for a bit... is it worth the money? Do I need new bedding?

It had been years (I won't tell you how many) since I had purchased new bedding so that was an easy answer. I walked in circles around the store trying to find a bedding that was comparable to the one I fell in love with at first sight. My friend the drunk Missus walked around the store with the rolling ladder -- I think she was hoping I would find something I loved on the top shelf so she could climb the ladder. Turns out there was nothing I wanted more. I took the comforter, bed skirt and pillow cases to the checkout and cashed out. The total of this purchase was more than the other purchased combined from the day, but I couldn't wait to get home.

I tore the bedroom apart last night and put together my new bed. I crawled into the comfort of my new comforter around 11 p.m. and for the first time in years, I hit "snooze" when the alarm went off at 6 a.m. and slept soundly for another hour.

No comments: