Friday, October 10, 2008

The Market is Down; My Workout is Up

I started my morning at 6:30. I found my way to the gym in a haze of uncaffeinatation, got on the treadmill and starting running. And running... and running. Before I knew it, I was 5.5 miles into "Good Morning, America".

News of the morning: The market is down, mortgages are folding, people are losing their jobs and their homes, the weather looks nice this weekend, a man was arrested after an attempted kidnap of a 6-year-old boy, and 'that one' is being accused of befriending terrorists while the 'other one' is trying to find his way out of the camera's shot.

The country is literally falling apart, I thought, as I upped the speed on the treadmill.

Finally, 7:30 a.m. and it's time to meet my trainer. We hit the benches. I was bench pressing the weight of my stress, and it felt great. An hour later I hit the showers, put on my face and walked up to the front desk to turn in my locker key and get my gym pass back. To my surprise and elation, the front desk attendant had a large cup of coffee waiting for me.

"There was enough [coffee] left for one large cup," he said as he handed me the cup.

Amazing how the world can seem a little calmer with a large cup of coffee, a good workout, and a friendly gesture.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Rock on, sister. Physical input propels mental output.