Thursday, October 2, 2008

My Declaration to Cole Haan

It has been rumored that I am a Cole Haan Whore. Today, I formally declare the rumor to be true.

I have the Cole Haan Village Collection bag in brown and a few Cole Haan scarves, shoes and clutches. My friend The Missus once called me a Cole Haan whore when I walked into work with a new beige bag (which I ended up returning due to a fabric flaw I found after the purchase). I refuted the accusation. For starters, I do not purchase retail Cole Haan (I usually buy outlet or second-hand items) and for another thing, I am no one's whore... not even Mr. Haan's. I was in denial. But today, that all changed for the most beautiful bag in the world arrived on my desk from one very beautiful woman -- my Mom. It was a surprise gift and one my Mom knew I would adore. I've been eyeing this bag for sometime and walking away from it for various reasons; mostly because it's money better saved than spent.

It's time to admit I have a Cole Haan addiction. I walk into the Cole Haan retail store on Newbury Street for a fix -- the smell of the leather, the feel of the shoes on my feet, the new trends and the stylish accessories give me goosebumps. I rarely buy, but I always look.

As I sit here, my new bag in my lap carefully protected in its dustbag while I type away about far away destinations, I turned to my friend The Missus (who sits the next row over from me)and admitted the following:

"You've said in the past I'm a Cole Haan whore and I've argued with you. Today, I formally declare that I am a Cole Haan whore -- and I am proud of it. I am in love with my new bag."

MFTM has taught me a lot about fashion over the past year. We come from very different styles - she's more bohemian chic; I lean toward classic - but she's taught me to enjoy and embrace what I love and what looks good on me. Her husband cringes when make plans to shop; my bank takes out more insurance. Rarely do we buy the same things because our tastes are so different, but every once in a while there is an overlap. Today, we both paid homage to Cole Haan when she said, "I am in love with your new bag, too."

Side note: In what is a clearly a sign that the bag was meant for me, the color is aptly named "Pinot Noir."

1 comment:

Me said...

It is an amazing color. it's a perfect work bag.