Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Google Doesn't Let Friends Email Drunk

You've done it. You know you've done it. You come home after a few too many drinks and you get online and start responding to emails. You forget to spellcheck. You confess your love to someone you don't really love. You say harsh words to the date who scorned you or you send a regretful email to your boss that results in you frantically trying to figure out how to recall the message from drunk cyberspace. I'm thankful I've rarely done this, but I won't pretend it's never happened. 

Most of the time, however, I open up the email under the assumption I'm sober and then as I'm reading the email all the words slowly meshing together inonebigwordandallofsuddenmyheadhurtsandihavenoideawhattheemailimreadingactuallysays...
so I end up logging off and passing out. But, for those emails I've actually responded to - and on behalf of my friends (Ahem... ) - I say, thank G-d for Google.

The great minds at Google have developed a new technology called "Mail Goggles" (get it? Beer goggles. Mail goggles.) According to a report from MSNBC, "The Goggles can kick in late at night on weekends. The feature requires you to solve a few easy math problems in short order before hitting "send." A sure to move to prevent you from doing something you'll regret.

If you have Gmail, you can install the beta version of "Mail Goggles" and potentially save yourself from a morning of regret. And, if I forget to say it tomorrow morning (or any other morning), "Thank you, Google."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Why doesn't facebook have this feature? I have done so much drunk FB'ing that I'm probably on FB probation.

Frogger said...

Life isn't worth living if you can't say you've never been on probation for something...