Sunday, August 10, 2008

Top 10 Things Heard This Week...

To say this past week has been a bitch would be an understatement. This is obvious mostly in the fact that this blog hasn't been updated in a week. I was simply to spent to pen the tales of the day. Instead, I thought I'd recap the week with a top 10 list of things said to me, or that I've said, which will give you an indication as to why I am spending this glorious rainy, thunderstorm-clad day inside organizing my iTunes, watching movies and fiercely cleaning my apartment. A good cleanse is good for the soul. 

Here we go (in no particular order):

1. "You're not up to speed on how to manage a news blog." Ok, granted, I have not updated this blog for a week, but I think I'm well-versed in blog management. For one, I managed a business news blog at a nationally-syndicated news site for two years. Second, I'm a writer, and any writer in this day and age can manage a blog (or should be at least familiar with how to post something into a text box and hit "publish").

2. "Am I getting fired?" Asked to General Manager after big shake-up at the office due to above-mentioned news blog.

3. "I don't think that will fit you," said the sales associate when I picked up a black tank top size L at 344 store on Newbury Street. F*** you, sales bitch. (For what it's worth, I didn't bother trying on the top. I left the store and went to Starbucks for a skinny iced latte, instead).

4. "We need to think about re-organizing the hierarchy of this group," said one office manager when discussing the details of my job.

5. "How do you know if you have a UTI?" said one friend who ended up in the hospital emergency room at 11 p.m. that night.

6. News headlines: 

"John Edwards admits to affair." Now I realize this has nothing to do with me personally, but it really ticked me off. The man was running for president, likely considered a viable candidate for VP at one point, and the affair took place during his wife's battle with cancer. I'm already in a foul mood. This didn't help.

"Bernie Mac Dies at 50." Again, doesn't impact me personally, but the man was a comic genius and his life was cut too short. Sad news for an already sad week.

"Attacks on day one at Beijing Olympics." This is just horrific, given all the turmoil that has led up to this event.

7. "If this were a musical, you'd be my back-up singers and would have the perfect song to sing right now," said to co-workers when handed a box of Kleenex after tears erupted behind closed doors in the boardroom.

8. "Your two-week trial for managing the success of the blog starts now. Please supply metrics for success." Stated in an email, which caused above-mentioned burst of tears. (Prelude: see point No. 1)

9. "I just don't find you very attractive. There just aren't any sparks..." said blind date after Chinese food dinner. (He followed this up with an email that asked if we could just "be friends," but I politely refrained from responding. I'm 33, I have plenty of friends, and they find me attractive.)

10. "I was never the girl who wanted a husband. I want Chanel and Valentino - they'll never leave me, and they always look good." Said one friend to another while sipping red wine and enjoying focaccia and roasted garlic on a Saturday afternoon.

And with this, I bid you a calm Sunday night.

1 comment:

Dan said...

You soul bearer, you. You have every reason to stand tall and walk with a spark in your step. Smile at the universe and it will smile back. Corny, but true.