Monday, August 18, 2008

Champagne Cocktails and Taffy Dreams

Forget lobsters (of which we had two each) and rocky shore lines (of which we walked endlessly), this year's Maine memory comes in the form of pink champagne and licorice taffy.

I wish I knew the name of the pink champagne -- it was $20 a bottle and it was horrible, but surprisingly, an entire bottle was finished. Thinking back, that entire bottle might have been consumed by the one person who actually liked the pink champagne...

Before the more "adult" wines had been drunk and we were all too loose to drive, a few friends made their way to The Goldenrod, one of the best New England taffy factories. Unfortunately, the array had taffy had been picked through by earlier-in-the-day visitors, but lucky for me, there was an entire bundle of licorice taffy that hadn't been touched AND IT WAS ALL MINE!!

(Thank you, friends, for buying me my favorite taffy.)

The best part of Maine weekend? Sitting around the wrap-around porch with your best girlfriends and talking about Maine weekends past. Another year, another Maine weekend.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hey! I made a comment, where's it at?

Frogger said...

Hmmm... you sure you made a comment???? Try again...

Unknown said...

I'm devastated....my original comment went something like this (damn the internet for timing me out....):

I take full responsibility for the awful champagne we had in Maine. But, to be blasphemed on the internet is another thing! : )

Two years ago, I stopped at the NH tax free, bootylicious hootch shop and stocked up on hootch. Some of which included a couple fine bottles on Chandon Rose bubbly which we all enjoyed immensely over the girls' weekend.

This year, I didn't have the same luxury of time at my disposal and had to delegate the delicate purchase of hootch to those who were also relegated the respsonsibility of purchasing ravioli and cheese at the local Hannaford's. I pleaded with them to go to the local wine and spirits shop, but I couldn't convince them. So I instructed them to purchase a few bottles of Chandon bubbly 'pink', of which there are a few varieties.

To my surprise (and dismay), they picked up the 'cheap' varietal and not the same we had been treated to last year. So as not to embarass anyone, I went along with this choice and drank it happily (who am I to turn down a glass of bubbly?).

I took home two bottles of the stuff and am still looking forward to an ocassion where I can pop a cork or two of this unsavory pink stuff. So be it. That's the price I pay for being a good friend and not blowing a nice weekend with the girls. If I have to take one for the team, I'm happy to do so....

Lest my dear frogger think any less of me for the champagne choices I make, I will have to live with it.

Frogger said...

My dear Christine,
There is a bottle for everyone, no? I believe there was once a time we drank from a bottle of cheap scotch. We don't judge. We drink. Here's to you, sister!

Unknown said...

I also recollect a concoction we liberally called 'sangria'. Sprite, schnapps, brandy and some fruit. In what alternate universe does that qualify as sangria? Oh, right...ours. Salut, frogger!

Frogger said...

you forgot the red wine and triple sec... don't dilute my sangria with fruit. the fruit was soaked overnight in brandy, too. :)