Monday, August 25, 2008

Bravo! Encore On Demand

One of the smartest things I've done in the past year was install cable TV in my bedroom. Some would say it ruins "the mood" but I say... there's no mood to ruin so I'm watching TV.

In light of creepy bastards trying to enter my apartment, my sleep has been subject to daylight hours in 15-minute intervals. I'm awake, I'm asleep, I'm awake, I'm asleep... then it's dark... and I'm awake. It's amazing how one attempted break-in can help improve your hearing. Now, I'm attune to every sound, creak, break, or crash that happens within earshot of my apartment.

Saturday night I spent the evening on the sofa, "sleeping" with one eye open and watching the door. Last night, I decided to give the bed a shot. Leaving the lights on throughout the house, I wandered into the dark bedroom, turned on the TV and scrolled around in search of something mind-numbing to watch. I opted for a movie On Demand, and found my way to Encore's On
Demand listing.

The options were endless -- and mindless -- and included classic favorites like, "Stand By Me," "High Fidelity," and "Only You." New movies including, "The Queen," and "The Pursuit of Happyness" were highlighted, but I choose to stick with the oldies. I flipped on "High Fidelity" and curled up with my pillow for a restless night. I was comforted by John Cusak's good looks and Jack Black's comedic timing. But, a standing ovation goes to Encore On Demand for providing a selection of movies to take my mind off the chaos of the outside world.

I didn't "sleep", per se, but I rested. The door is being fixed this week and with that, I may just feel safe enough to move the kitchen table back to its proper spot.

No comments: