Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Meat of the Matter

How else will we connect if we don't put ourselves in the position to connect? That is the question my friends have posed to me since the announcement of my new crush.

My friends have explained the importance of making myself noticed by the butcher. So today at lunch, I walked with Bail down to the butcher shop to get meat. Bail and her husband are meat lovers and welcomed the opportunity to help me meet the meat man. We walked into the butcher shop and stood among at least a dozen people, also waiting for their meat. After about 15 minutes we thought it might be better (and more to my benefit) to come back later.

Back at the office, I was informed this plan is due to fail. Why would Bail go in for her own meat when I can get the meat for her and meet the meat man? One problem: I don't know the first thing about meat.

We busted out the Great Meat Book and Bail made her list:

- One rabbit cut into five or six pieces.

- Two lamb shanks.

- Four pounds of stock bones/joints.

- A single marrow bone split down the middle.

- One hanger steak

I stood staring at this meat list and thought, "Who can eat all this meat?" But I don't know from meat, so off I went in search of the meat.

The meat market was empty, save for the owners and one patron. I walked in and the meat man greeted me,

"Oh, you came back?" he said.

"Yes, of course." I said.

"What can I get you?"

I rattled off my list.
Rabbit? Yes. Lamb shanks? Yes. Stock bones/joints? No. Single marrow? No. (screw the hanger steak, I thought).

Off he went to prepare my meat.

He did not address me by my name. He cut the meat, he wrapped it up. He said, "Can I get you anything else?"

(you can get me a few things, lover, but they aren't found in that freezer)

"Nope, I think that's it."

He calculated the total.

"Anything else?" he asked again.

(think, quick, witty, something)

"Nope." I said.

"$42" he said.

I handed over my money. He said 'Good to see you,' and off I went with my bag of meat.

Home now... thinking of all the things I should have said...

So it got me thinking? Why do women wait for the signals before acting on their impulse? What would happen if we just acted and hoped for the best? Who is to say what the right signals are? If we wait too long, do we miss them?

No comments: