Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Lauren's Hope: Fashion for the Medically Challenged

If I have to have a heart condition, I'm going to have it in style. I mean really... no one wants to have a medical condition. After a year of denying it I've finally come to terms with the fact: For better and worse, I have an irregular heart beat. Nothing uncommon, but yes, medication is necessary. So fine... I've accepted it and I'm taking my medication and bla, bla, bla.

This week my doctor lowered the next boom. "You really should wear a medic alert tag," she said.

OH COME ON!! The last thing I want to do is draw attention to the fact that I have this heart condition. Now I have to walk around parading it on my wrist or neck to "alert" others I have a heart condition. My doctor had a good point, though. I do travel a lot and mostly to foreign countries and God for bid something should happen, it's good to alert those who might not speak my language that I have a "condition."

Enter: Lauren's Hope. The company was founded for little Lauren Phillips, who at 16-years-old was very upset she had to wear a medic alert tag to identify her diabetes. Fashion is a big deal for teenagers, and so Lauren's Hope was born. The company makes "fashionable" medic alert bracelets using various different beads, ropes, chains and stones.

Check out a few of their fashions. Now that I've admitted I'm medically-challenged, I might as well wear my challenge in style!!

1 comment:

Me said...

I think you should get the turquoise tag. It's really pretty. And turquoise is supposed to be a "good luck" stone.